Friday, February 06, 2004

Check out Amanda Doherty's Blog:
http://amandadoerty.blogspot.com/
Its quite cool.
I especially liked today's topic of discussion- the Indentity Theory- Materialistic Perspective, etc. etc.
Basically, Amanda wants to rule out Materialistic Theory totally- I realy dont agree with that.
My Response to her:
About Science- I think you are being unfair. Science does recognize subjectivity in observation. Relativity, for one. Probability. I mean, in the 20 th century, advances in science have had a strong subjective bent. I last did science as a fifteen year old, nearly ten years back, so my arguments would be from a layperson's perspective, but still.
About your Neurophysician- that is a very solipsisistic view, isnt it? Even if the neurophysician had all his receptors in place, How does one say, his experience of pain is the same as someone else's? If something is never provable, how relevant is it at all going to be?
If I built an Artificially Intelligent super computer that could process impulses (could be fed in) and assign "feeling-names" to that- the machine, if really well programmed, could actually start acting like a human being. Now, where would its "mind" be?
I would say, the basic problem is only that we do not yet understand the working of the brain. Prior to reaching that milestone- Its rather harsh to condemn either facets of the identity theory.

______________________________

One of the best books on this subject, of course, is Douglas Hofstadter & Daniel Dennet's "Mind's I: Fantasies & Reflections on Self & Soul". Thats a truly brilliant book. Devinder lent it to me- and I will forever be grateful to him for that!
Theres another book- A Very Short Introduction to the Philosophy of Science by Sameer Okansha. Started it, but did not have the time to finish it!
So many books to read, and so little time to read them all in!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home