Tuesday, December 14, 2004

State Bank Rocks!

Really, it does! I have always had a high opinion of State Bank of India- its one of the largest banks in the world in terms of branch network. SBI has practically built the banking system in India. You might find towns/villages unconnected by decent roads, but you would be hard-pressed to find one without a State Bank. And considering its size, this behemoth is remarkably nimble. This, of course, is augmented by the huge plus of my dad being a former employee of the institution. ;)
Anyway. Today, I just decided arbitrarily to open a Recurring Deposit account with SBI. I am ashamed to say, I would have opened one with HDFC Bank, if they had offered one- just for the impression HDFC gives of convenience. IMHO, HDFC Bank service sucks. It manages to get by merely because of its terrific IT Infrastructure. Their netbanking portal is amazing- but walk into a branch, and the sheer incompetence and lousy attitude will def provide a very, very strong turn off. But I digress. I walked up to SBI, intending only to get some info- after all, an SBI would require some proof, some photograph, some form, someone to introduce, etc, etc, right? Wrong, as it turned out.
The lady at the Personal Banking branch on mount road ran some search on her database, and located my account (Joint with my dad) in a different branch of SBI. She got hold of my Customer Id Number, and voila! One account opened! Yes, SBI! Mrs Jaysri Narayanan took so much pride in opening the accoutn so fast for me! She was pleased as punch about her "New core banking system" and "you can operate your account from any internet enabled branch" and "everything is accessible from the internet" and "incidentally, the balance in your educational loan account is XXXX". It was amazing. She was so proud of her institution! I could never imagine being so confident and happy about Polaris! I am almost jealous!!
My account will be operational upon realization of my cheque. I will open a Savings bank account along with this. All of my money will go only to SBI! This is terrific! yaay!

2 Comments:

At Wed Dec 15, 09:31:00 AM GMT+5:30, Blogger sudeep said...

Your ability to notice the finer details and find positivity in the most unexpected of places is a source of learning for everyone else.

 
At Wed Dec 15, 03:34:00 PM GMT+5:30, Blogger Aish said...

Wow. Thats terribly nice. Thanks, Sudeep.

Talk about positives and finer details- I gave the lady a cheque from my salary account instead of my savings account- yes, the salary account that doesnt have any money! Realized that today, so finally went there with cash from the ATM, apologized and came back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home