Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Freedom is an illusion. It always comes at a price.

Thats a line from Stroud's "The Amulet of Samarkand". Is there a message for me there, i wonder. Freedom is ALL I have been thinking about the past few days, and suddenly this line jumps out at me from the book. Not that I am toeing the line espoused by Bach in Illusions, (the book of knowledge types. If you look for an answer, you will find it). I think thats total gibberish.

For one, its something like a prophecy. If you want to find meaning in nonsense, you will. Take Nostradamus' prophecies for one. Pick up one, and I bet you can find a way to relate it to a range of everyday events - from the US invasion of Iraq to the totally unimaginative budget from the Finance Minister. For another, in a book of 300 plus pages, and approximately 7000 lines, you are bound to find something that strikes a chord. Simple application of the law of probability.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At Thu Mar 08, 11:05:00 PM GMT+5:30, Blogger Anu said...

please write more frequently

 
At Tue Mar 13, 08:06:00 AM GMT+5:30, Blogger sudeep said...

Finding patterns is usually our search to find meaning in what increasingly looks like a crazy, ad hoc life. I like finding patterns, they comfort me :)

 
At Tue Mar 13, 09:21:00 AM GMT+5:30, Blogger Aish said...

I have no problem with patterns. I love them, in fact. I am at heart a software geek, if you remember. We thrive on patterns. I just think its funny that people (me included) try to extrapolate meaning waaay beyond what is justified in the context

 
At Tue Mar 13, 09:22:00 AM GMT+5:30, Blogger Aish said...

Anu, wish you would comment more. Sudeep, pls note Anu's comment- thats the kind of message you are supposed to leave, alright? Jeez the kind of things I have to teach out here...

 
At Wed Mar 14, 08:18:00 AM GMT+5:30, Blogger sudeep said...

Anu may actually want to tell you that you need more practice and polishing. But I guess she is polite. Not realising that only brutal honesty pierces the self-delusionary (is that a word?) armor of the Arian :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home