Wednesday, July 21, 2004

What have I been doing the past few days?
Reading. Reading. Reading. Cooking. Coming to office, coming to office. Not working, as you might have noticed.
Moved to a different project. A casual observer viewing my career graph (what ever there is of that) might think I am a highly sought after resource- I keep shuttling between projects- but allow me to enlighten you. I have to wake you up to reality, but the truth is, life in polaris is a series of transitions, nothing more. I am perpetually in a phase of transition!
Anyway. Have been reading decent books, atleast! Just finished “To Sir With Love”. An excellent book. Everybody ought to read it, atleast once. And you know what I found most striking about the book? The innocence. Braithwaite is innocent- he cares so much for his wards, wants so much to make them good, decent people, capable of facing the world. The children are so decent- they actually give him a chance to put into action, his ambitions. The worst and the most truculent of the children are basically very very good at heart! I cant imagine a bunch of 16-17 year-olds being that good today! Am I being cynical or is Braithwaite being unduly optimistic? I am tempted to think it’s the latter. After all, he/she is a realist for everyone! Or, its quite probable that the adjectives used to describe the locality are over exaggerated. “Tough” is not exactly how I would describe most of the characters. Most of them are softies- which partly explains the success of the book. And the novel. Every one likes to meet softies. Everyone has the romantic ideal that all tough guys are softies are heart. Anyway. Rambling too much about this.
 
Other books I read – the Da Vinci Code- not as great as I expected it to be- okay, to go into familiar territory- it seems to lack the philosophical depth that could take it along side great works like Foucault’s Pendulum . Very few of the arguments are supported by historical facts. Okay a spoiler here: If you haven’t read the book, suggest you skip this para- what the h*&l is the function of the Priory of Sion? If Mary Magdalene has been put to rest, it can’t possibly be to protect her. They seem to have absolutely no documentary evidence about Mary M. if at all the church were foolish enough to dig up her bones- what would they do with them??? The supposed secret that the Priory is to be guarding, is way too fantastic for people to believe in the absence of evidence.
 
Next was – tada! “The Agony and The Ecstay”. That was terrific! Now I am all for visting Florence and Rome & the Vatican atleast once! The list of places I would love to visit only seems to grow! At the top are Egypt, Cambodia, Jerusalem & Jordan, Nepal, Moscow. Should create a separate post for that!
And for those of you horrible people who get more time to read than I do- this list of three measly books is not exhaustive (almost exhaustive, but not quite!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home