Thursday, March 15, 2007

Happy Birthday to...

Happy Birthday to Devinder Singh.
Sudeep might laugh, but Devinder is by far THE BEST writer I have ever come across- actaully, I credit a lot of "bests" to him. He could answer pretty much any question I put to him- and with minimal effort, considering I am worse than any two year old when it comes to tell me whys. Plus his replies were simplistic enough to get to the crux of the matter within a sentence or two. In the sense, his concepts are extremely clear. His hold over fundamentals is simply astounding.

This was a role reversal of sorts for me. At college I was thought to be the Fin Dude. I could answer any question on Finance (that was, of course, because those questions came from Level Zero in Finance- terrirific at MAR/HR guys). And as one classmate commented, "She always preceedes her explanation wiht 'Oh, thats so simple', and THAT is so irritating, because I would have been slogging at that, unsuccessfully for over four hours ".

With Devinder, the reverse was true- He seemed to know everything, and though he never said Oh, thats so simple, it was quite obvious from his explanations, that the question did not even touch him, intellectually. I felt like I was asking a math Ph D about basic theorems in trignometry or something. Those were areas he had covered loooooong loooooooong back. But the nicest part about him was, he never showed intellectual arrogance at any time. Which even I, with what limited reading/knowledge I do, tend to do occasionally. Something tells me a reason for that probably was the degree of confidence we had about each other.

I could never see devinder worry about his next appraisal, or what his boss would say for a faux pas, or why he should have done that document better or anything. Typical fears that CONSTANTLY plague me. The result of that on my overall character is one of the things I absolutely hate about myself. The brashness and apparent lack of sensitivity that comes across.

Anyway. Back to Devinder. Hope you have a great birthday and a terrific year ahead.

PS - The "Oh, thats so simple" or similar were totally unintentional. Did not notice, actually, until the lady in question brought it to my attention

Labels:

4 Comments:

At Thu Mar 15, 12:33:00 PM GMT+5:30, Blogger sudeep said...

An intellectual without arrogance is no intellect.

My Wilde-of-the-month comment :)

 
At Thu Mar 15, 02:07:00 PM GMT+5:30, Blogger Aish said...

wow. Good one. Reminds me of something Steve used to say - "How can she have an inferiority complex? She IS inferior!"

 
At Fri Mar 16, 10:29:00 AM GMT+5:30, Blogger sudeep said...

Btw, how IS steve? and delna? and yr other friends?

 
At Fri Mar 16, 10:47:00 AM GMT+5:30, Blogger Aish said...

"Other" friends??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home