Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Heroes

How much courage does it take to stand up to a whole platoon? Especially if that platoon belongs to your country? Especially if you are standing up for the side who is part of the enemy? Especially if you are standing for nothing more than what is right? For what is just?

Please read about Hugh Thompson and his two friends, the heroes of My Lai. Actually, I would call them heroes of the world. The true role models for young people.

When I was young and naive (or should I just say more naive), and preparing for CAT interviews, like most of us all, I had my list of "People I admire the most" (typical interview question you had to be prepared to face). Mine was headed by Christopher Reeve. For sheer grit and courage in the face of extreme adversity. Imagine the strength required to be able to say "I will survive, I will walk" when doctors call it impossible. Strength inspite of a complete absence of any concrete basis for hope.

Hugh Thompson, Lawrence Colburn and Glen Andreotta stand the tallest in my book anyday, anytime.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At Fri Mar 23, 12:29:00 PM GMT+5:30, Blogger sudeep said...

On a flippant note, Reese Witherspoon in Legally Blonde could very well be my idol :)

 
At Wed Apr 04, 05:25:00 PM GMT+5:30, Blogger Aish said...

Reese Witherspoon in LB would be a very good practical model. Lessons in the Art of Survival. Totally agree.

If you thought I would be horrified/offended,you are doomed to disappointment :))

 
At Wed Apr 04, 11:24:00 PM GMT+5:30, Blogger Aish said...

Do you remember Ram, the IIMC chap who was with the Siebel team? He found I loved Sci-Fi and was surprised to know I loved Douglas Adams as well- "So you arent one of those 'purists'" he said. Am reminded of thatnow,

 

Post a Comment

<< Home